Guidelines link: Click here for guidelines
Disciplines: Literary, Theatre
Location: Local (Cleveland Area)
Twin Masks Performing Arts Center
Twin Masks Performing Arts Center (TMPAC), a not-for-profit performing arts organization, recognizes the need to support artists in our own communities, in particular, playwrights, whose work contributes to the growth, education and appreciation of a diverse audience base, while simultaneously giving area artists more opportunities to develop their craft.
With this in mind, TMPAC is proud to announce its first artist-in-residence program beginning January 1, 2021 named in honor and in memory of our co-founder, Douglas Lillibridge.
The program is open to playwrights ages 21+ who currently reside in one of the following Ohio counties: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit and Wayne.
Please read and review the outline below for details regarding this program.
1. The work must be original and not have been workshopped, or performed, with any other U.S.-based theatre company (professional and/or non-professional), and/or educational program.
2. The piece must be at least 90 minutes in performance length, and the script written (and performed) in U.S. English.
3. Cast of characters: no less than 2, no more than 8.
4. The show will be performed in our theatre space* in Twinsburg, OH.
5. The piece should be geared to an adult audience (no children’s theatre).
6. SUBMISSION DEADLINE: October 2, 2020. Included in your submission, please provide an essay (500 words or less) on how this program will help you as an artist and playwright.
a. Please be sure to include your complete contact information, including name, address, phone, email with your submission.
7. Send A COPY (no originals, please) to: email@example.com
8. Finalists for this program will be asked to meet with members of the TMPAC board between October and December, 2020.
The artist chosen will receive a stipend of $10,000.00 for one-year payable in two installments, based on the following:
1. The script will be presented as a work in progress in June 2021. Based on the evolution of the script and status of the workshopped production, the playwright will receive the first installment of
$5,000.00 in June, 2021.
2. The show will continue to be workshopped in the second half of the year with a scheduled performance before December 31, 2021. After the close of the performance, the playwright will receive the
second installment (no later than January 15, 2022).
3. The artist will work in collaboration with a director and cast to workshop the script and prepare for the performance in December. (Director and cast members are not remunerated for their participation.)
*The TMPAC performance space affords flexible seating for no more than 50 individuals. It is a true black box and open performance space. There is no proscenium, and no designated back stage or wings (left, right or above). Please check our website and search for photos where you can see images of previous performances to give you an idea of what the performance space can accommodate.
Twin Masks Performing Arts Center is a 501(3)-C, not-for-profit performing arts center located in Twinsburg, Ohio. Established in 2017, TMPAC is committed to producing intimate, thought-provoking shows that engage, entertain and encourage audiences to consider different perspectives and points of view. Visit the website: www.twinmasks.org for more information.